NBCUniversal, In Latest Blow To Nielsen, Elevates iSpot To Ad Currency
NBCUniversal will offer iSpot’s data as official currency at its upfront in May. This expansion is part of the company’s relationship with ad-tracking firm iSpot.
Here is why it matters
In a blow to Nielsen, the longtime predominant ad currency, NBCUniversal will activate iSpot.tv’s cross-platform audiences as currency for national ad buys. Comscore will be the currency for local ad buys.
- In the face of the advertising industry’s transition from legacy systems that have struggled to adapt to streaming media, NBCU has been one of the most aggressive incumbent media conglomerates trying to revolutionize TV measurement and advertising.
- Kelly Abcarian, EVP of Measurement & Impact for NBCU, declared during the company’s “One22”- a tech-style advertising innovation summit,
We’re heading to Radio City, and this year’s upfront, ready to activate against iSpot’s cross-platform audience. Our long-awaited, multi-currency future has finally arrived. We’ve got the technology. We’ve got the data. And we’re ready to help today.
Interesting Read: TikTok and NBCUniversal Collaborate for the Winter Olympics
- Ad partners of NBCU can use the data from iSpot.tv as its currency to negotiate cross-platform ad buys. Additionally, it integrates with OpenAP’s OpenID for identifying linear and digital audiences. Axios quoted Stu Schwartzapfel, iSpot.tv’s senior vice president of media partnerships.
“NBCU’s integration of our data with partners such as OpenAP enable the industry to trade on specific audiences instead of broad demos, which paves the way for better, more impactful ad experiences and clearer return on ad spend for brands.”
- As with its media peers, NBCU has long complained that Nielsen ratings, the main currency between ad buyers and sellers, don’t accurately reflect viewership and damage their profits. Even though NBCU did not mention Nielsen by name, the company is still expected to be a part of the upfront season due to preexisting contracts.
- As part of its Certified Measurement Program, the company announced eight new certifications that will aid in audience measurement and verification. Comscore, DoubleVerify, IAS, Oracle Advertising, Innovid, Comcast’s Freewheel, and Innovid will join iSpot in its endeavor to create an interoperable currency ecosystem for capturing audience data, serving ads, verifying audiences, and cataloging ads.
- NBCU’s Ad Smart platform will also enable advertisers to target both streaming and traditional linear content with iSpot viewership data.
Interesting Read: Here, There, Everywhere, It Is Cross-Screen Advertising!
Taking a broader view:
- Since streaming has increased the need for digital measurements, companies have sought alternatives to Nielsen. Linda Yaccarino, NBCU’s chairman of global advertising and partnerships, said at the event,
Even as behavior changes, whether you’re talking mobile, social, or the metaverse — you still need great content and IP for consumers to care. And here’s the thing: all that great content now has real data to back it up. Thanks to identity and first-party data — we can finally stop talking about the panels of the past and start focusing on a full-funnel future.
Interesting Read: A Look Ahead: Convergence Of Linear TV And Digital TV Advertising
- Neha Mehta
- Neha started her journey as a financial professional but soon realized her passion for writing and is now living her dreams as a content writer. Her goal is to enlighten the audience on various topics through her writing and in-depth research. She is geeky and friendly. When not busy writing, she is spending time with her little one or travelling.
- Interview and Guest Post2023.11.17Exploring Ad Landscape Shifts: In conversation with Deepika Bansal from Dentsu X
- Interview and Guest Post2023.11.07Ameer Ismail’s Decades-Long PR Odyssey: Navigating a Dynamic Landscape
- Interview and Guest Post2023.10.13Roman Olivarez: From Films to Ads, A Creative Journey with MullenLowe TREYNA
- Blog2023.10.10Saffola’s Impactful 40 under 40: Inspiring Health Choices